Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Pretty Darn Perfect Pot Roast

I can't tell you how many times I've put a slab of meat and some veggies into the crockpot, filled with anticipation about the melt-in-your-mouth deliciousness I'd be enjoying hours later. But, by the time I got home from a long day at work I was greeted by meat that's meh and potatoes that're mushy.

That is, until I discovered the recipe for Pretty Darn Perfect Pot Roast.

Ingredients

  • Meat - choose your favorite pot roast cut (2.5 pounds for 6 people)
  • 1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
  • 1/2 package of onion soup mix
  • 1/2 cup of water
  • 1/4 cup red wine
  • 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
  • veggies of choice (we usually do potatoes and carrots)


Directions

1. Mix soup, onion soup mix, water, wine and worcestershire sauce in the crockpot.

2. Add meat. Brush some of the soup mix up onto the meat.

3. Cook on high for 2.5 hours. Add veggies. Cook an additional 2 hours.

Note: If you want/need to cook on low increase cooking time to 6-8 hours. If you can, wait till the last 3-4 hours to add the veggies.


Reviews: Yum!

7 comments:

  1. So...you don't brown the meat before you put it in the slow cooker? I will have to try that. I'm sadly deficient in my roast-cooking skills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the baker, not the meal maker, but you have given me hope! I think I can even manage this one! And I will come out looking like a real chef! Thank you for the fabulous recipes. You never let me down!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dusti,

    You can absolutely brown the meat before putting it in (I'd cover it with some spices, maybe dried rosemary, garlic and a little olive oil and then sear)...

    but you don't have to. I didn't do it yesterday. Still turns out very good! The gravy is the best part. I forgot to mention, if it looks a little liquidy, just whisk in a tablespoon or so of flour.

    nom, nom!

    ~Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hands Free -

    Perhaps we should clone each other b/c my baking skills are pretty limited! I'm more a main dish kinda girl ;-)

    ~Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks pretty good

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tanya,

    Tried this the other night...excellent! I've always had trouble getting the roast just right. It was nicely cooked this time. This recipe is going into the rotation!

    Rick Howlett and family
    Louisville

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad it worked for you, Rick! There's not much better than a Pretty Perfect Pot Roast ;-)

    ReplyDelete