Monday, June 6, 2011

Tangy Barbecue Sandwiches

I admit it. I hate my family <<< just a little bit >>> right now.

I mean, I love my family. But so many of them are teachers and get these nice, long, extended vacations over the summer. And it just makes me a wee bit jealous. Okay, more than a wee bit.

Summers in our house are just a new kind of crazy, especially since the kids got old enough to decide they have their own interests. What's up with that?!?

No more sending all three girls to the same summer camp. Nooooo, for the next few weeks we're juggling theatre camp and gymnastics. Starting at the same time, ending at different times. In two different parts of town. While both Jason and I are working. Yeah... summer is fun!

It's times like these that we lean on Fix-It and Forget-It Lightly, and that's where we found the recipe for Tangy Barbecue Sandwiches. (* and **)


Ingredients:
  • 3 cups chopped celery
  • 1 cup chopped onions
  • 1 cup low-sodium ketchup
  • 1 cup low-sodium barbecue sauce
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 Tbsp. vinegar
  • 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
  • 1 tsp. chili powder
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
  • 4-lb. lean boneless chuck roast

Directions:
1. Combine all ingredients except roast in slow cooker. When well mixed, add roast.
2. Cover. Cook on low 7-9 hours.
3. Remove roast. Cool & shred meat. Return to sauce & heat well.
4. Serve on buns.



How easy is that?!? But is it good? Afterall, we do live in a state that takes its barbecue very seriously!

Reviews:
Chef Tanya -- Pretty darned good! It might not be Dreamland or Full Moon, but it's pretty darned good (and did I mention, "easy"?!?!). The one nitpick I have is that the sauce is pretty watery. Next time we make it we're gonna skip the water.

Jason -- What she said!

Olivia -- It was really, really good. I like the sauce a lot. I want seconds. There are seconds, right?

Hannah -- It was, um, interesting. I liked the bun and the french fries. The sauce, not so much.

Olivia -- Hannah! The sauce is the best part! You're crazy!

Hannah -- Whatever!?! I like the french fries. And the bun.

* Just found out there's a Fix-It & Forget-It website. Huzzah!

** Did I mention this is a "healthy" BBQ? Just 300 calories, 7 grams fat, and 60 mg cholesterol per serving.

0 comments:

Post a Comment