After a whole bunch of this
and lots of rest, Miranda is back in the land of the living
and that means back to cooking!
Last night we finally made the Tilapia Pitas.
We leave out the anchovies and substitute romaine for the iceberg lettuce. Seriously, folks, what's the point of iceberg lettuce? It doesn't offer much in the way of nutrition or taste! And there are so many better alternatives.
So, back to the pitas..
* 1/2 cup mayonnaise
* 1/4 cup Italian salad dressing
* 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
* 2 anchovy fillets, drained
* 1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
* 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
* 1 pinch salt
* 3 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 pound tilapia fillets
* 1/4 teaspoon lemon pepper
* salt and cayenne pepper to taste
* 4 cups iceberg lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces
* 1 small red onion, chopped
* 6 pita breads, cut in half
1. In a small bowl, stir together the mayonnaise, Italian dressing, feta cheese and anchovies. Season with cayenne pepper, black pepper and salt. Mix until well blended, then set aside.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Place the tilapia fillets in the skillet, and season with lemon pepper, salt and cayenne. Fry until browned on each side, and fish flakes easily with a fork, 5 to 7 minutes.
3. Warm pita breads in the toaster or in the microwave to soften. Open from the cut side to make pockets. Fill pita bread halves with lettuce, onion, and tilapia fillets, then spoon in some of the feta cheese sauce. Serve and enjoy!
How easy is that!? It takes less than 20 minutes and is quite delish.
Chefs Tanya & Jason -- It's a go-to workhorse meal for busy nights, but is unique enough to serve to guests.
Miranda -- I'm just glad to be able to eat again!
Olivia - It's good. I love feta cheese.
Hannah - I eat my tilapia in the pita, but I don't like the cheese sauce (even though I love cheese. Feta. Yuck!) or the lettuce. The fish is spicy, but it's okay. I think the potatoes Dad cooked aren't quite done. But I'll eat them anyway.
Now, if we could only get Hannah healthy again. 102 fever for three days. No fun!