Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A Possible Cure for What Ails Us (... or at least a little gross entertainment)

So, our friend Elizabeth


(love that photo!)

saw our plea for culinary help in dealing with the flu-like junk that's affecting 2/5 of our house right now. She suggested a four prong strategy that looks somewhat promising. I say "somewhat" because I don't think there's any chance of getting the munchkins to try prong #1 even though Jason and I do it and Elizabeth's come up with a catchy sales pitch:

"The grossest possible activity you could ever watch, but that is creepily satisfying."

Suppose I could substitute the leftover galangal from this for the brew?!?

I'm gonna try both the gargle and the tea and will report back the reviews.



A COUPLE OTHER FLU-FIGHTING FOOD SUGGESTIONS:

From Facebook (and IRL public radio) friend Sarah McCammon:

When I'm sick (like now) I can't get enough chilled fruit, salad - light, nutritious things like that. Anything watery - maybe it's just the body's way of staying extra-hydrated. Oranges and grapefruits are my favorite.

From WBHM colleague Michael Krall:

The single dad's chicken soup. Saute onions and garlic in a little olive oil. Cook noodles of your choice in chicken stock for 1/2 the time the noodles call for. Add the onions, garlic, and some shredded rotisserie chicken from the deli. Heat thoroughly, until noodles cooked. It's hardly any work at all and you get lots of credit with the kids!

0 comments:

Post a Comment