I'm also not a huge fan of deep fried anything. So when Jason asked for chimichangas tonight, I was like, "um... uh... okay... if you really want it... I guess." But I did a little googling and found this recipe, which didn't look too awful.
- 2/3 cup picante sauce or 2/3 cup your favorite salsa
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chicken (we boil ours & shred it)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, chopped with some tops (about 1/4 cup)
- 6 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- shredded cheddar cheese, for serving
- chopped green onion, for serving
- picante sauce, for serving
1. Mix chicken, picante sauce or salsa, cumin, oregano, cheese and onions.
2. Place about 1/4 cup of the chicken mixture in the center of each tortilla.
3. Fold opposite sides over filling.
4. Roll up from bottom and place seam-side down on a baking sheet.
5. Brush with melted margarine.
6. Bake at 400°F for 25 minutes or until golden.
7. Garnish with additional cheese and green onion and serve salsa on the side.
Yeah, would have been better with some salsa on the side (we didn't have enough for inside and out). But we served ours with Mexican Rice (from a box... tough week!) and refried beans (minus the soupy cheese)
Chef Tanya - Pretty good (for Mexican).
Olivia - Chimichanga was kinda good, but not my favoritist meal. (this is where Hannah normally interjects "Favoritist is not a word!") Don't like Mexican Rice. Refried beans, not good. They make me poot.
Hannah - Oooh, I love the rice! For me, the rice is a 5 stars. Not a big fan of the beans. The Chimichanga, I didn't really like either.
Jason - I thought it was a great! A little dry. Salsa on the side would have been good.