Monday, July 18, 2011

Apple Jelly Grilled Pork

You know how Facebook is. You log on and who knows what you're going to find.

(Okay, you know that one "friend" will always have a rant about politics. But other than that, who knows?!)

So, today I log on and find a link to a story about a new doll that teaches little girls how to breast feed. (um, yeah, not sure 'bout that one!)

One comment leads to another and my friend Sarah offers ...

"For some reason I feel like this is a good time to mention that at the present moment, the only things in my freezer (other than a bag of broccoli in the door) are ice, vodka, and frozen breast milk. White Russians? Can you come up with something from those ingredients on your blog, Tanya? Like one of those chef shows?!"

Um, yeah - I got nothin' for ya Sarah.

But we did do a little experimenting of our own tonight. We're trying to clean through some random stuff in the fridge, including a nearly full jar of apple jelly that the kids refuse to touch.

Introducing Apple Jelly Grilled Pork

Ingredients:

  • Pork Tenderloin
  • 1/2 jar apple jelly
  • 3-4 tbsp soy sauce
  • 2 tsp red pepper (flakes or ground)


Directions:

Marinade pork in the jelly overnight. About 30 minutes before grilling, take out of fridge, add soy sauce and red pepper. Grill at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes or until internal temp is 150 degrees.

We served ours with cherries, steamed broccoli, and grilled red peppers and onions.


Reviews:

Jason - 3.5 out of 5 star - It was fair. I mean, the meal as a whole was pretty good. I don't think I'd go out and buy jelly just to use it this way, but it was a good use of something we needed to get rid of. It was fine.

Tanya - What he said.

Hannah - 4 out of 5 stars - It was good. I didn't really like the outside of the pork because it was really, really sweet. And I loved the broccoli for once! To make it better I ate a lot of broccoli with a lot of butter.

Olivia - 4.5 out of 5 stars - Well, the pork tenderloin was really sweet, but it was really good. You know how I love steamed broccoli. I think it's like the best vegetable in the whole wide world. The cherries were good too, except I don't like how cherries have pits, but I can't avoid that.

Hannah points out you can avoid pits if you order a Shirley Temple. (smart girl!)

Sarah, maybe you'd want to consider a Cherry Chocolate Milk Royal (just with regular milk, no?!)

2 comments:

  1. That sounds good! And yes, I think regular milk. Or maybe soy! The only person in our house who drinks breastmilk isn't ready for vodka, anyway! ;) -Sarah

    ReplyDelete