Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Smoked Salmon Hash and Eggs

When I was growing up my grandmother, bless her heart, served these salmon patties that could only be described as archeological expeditions.  They were so full of little vertabrae bones that alternately grossed me out and sent me on a mission to crush them all with my teeth.  Chomp, chomp, chomp!

This was my only exposure to salmon, until I reached adulthood and learned that, o.m.g., salmon can be absolutely delicious (and bone free!).   It's now one of my favorite meals (witness this, this, and this... ooh, ooh, ooh... and this All-Time Favorite!)

My mom recently admitted that she never served to us salmon growing up because she hated Grandma's salmon patties.  So I've made it my mission to find and share with her (and you) the best salmon redeeming recipes.  Which leads me to this week's offering:

Smoked Salmon Hash & Eggs (modified from a Whole Paycheck recipe)

Ingredients: (serving for 2)

  • olive oil
  • 2 cups shredded hashbrowns, thawed
  • 3 green onions, thinly sliced
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1 can salmon (minus the skin and vertabrae)
  • 2 eggs


Directions: 

  1. Heat large skillet with olive oil. 
  2. Add hashbrowns, 2/3 of the onions, and 1/2 of the pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until just crisp (about 5 minutes).
  3. Add salmon, toss together until combined and heated through. 
  4. Transfer hash mix to plate and keep warm. 
  5. Wipe skillet clean, add more oil, and cook eggs to your liking. 
  6. Serve egg over salmon hash, garnished with remaining onions and pepper. 
Yum, yum, yum!

0 comments:

Post a Comment