Friday, December 9, 2011

Red Velvet Cake Balls

First, a shout out to @Miyuki704 who turned me onto these little drops of red velvet wonder.


She heard about my early New Year's Resolution to conquer my fear of baking and suggested I check out Bakerella's Red Velvet Cake Balls.  I'm so glad she did because not only are they easy (time consuming, yes... but easy), but they're super yummy!

Ingredients

  • 1 box Red Velvet cake mix 
  • 1 can cream cheese frosting (16 oz)
  • 1 package chocolate bark (regular or white chocolate)
  • wax paper
Directions

1. Cook cake according to directions on box, cool completely, then crumble into a large bowl.

2. Mix can of cream cheese frosting into the crumbled cake (I used my hands. Messy, but effective)

3. Roll mixture into quarter size balls and lay on cookie sheet.

4. Chill for several hours in fridge, or speed up the process by popping into the freezer for a while (I put mine in for 35 minutes)

5. Melt chocolate in microwave per directions on the package (do only a few blocks at a time because it does harden up rather quickly)

6. Roll balls in chocolate and lay on wax paper to firm up.


I'm already imaging all of the variations. Maybe coconut sprinkled on top before it hardens? How about white chocolate covering with colored sprinkles for a kids' party?  Different cake mixes?

I've already made another batch of cake crumbles using this tip that saves tons of calories and fat. Olivia's going to mix in the frosting and make the balls tonight with her sleepover friends. We'll let ya know tomorrow whether it works!

(photo credit: top photo from Bakerella)

0 comments:

Post a Comment