Thursday, August 4, 2011

Farmstand Tacos

You already know how much I love Scary Mommy. NO?!? Well, I do! She's funny and frank and tells motherhood like it is, warts & all.

On the other extreme there's Bunny.


She not (yet) a mom, but has such a fascinating (to me) relationship with her own mother that I'm on her blog almost daily to check in. Bunny & I couldn't be more different. She's tall, blonde, lives in the big city, has a family with more steps and halfs than I can count, and she has very particular ideas of how things outta go down in the house (and in life). My NYC stint lasted just three months, I'm from a Leave it to Beaver family and I'm pretty laid back 'bout most things.

Still, Bunny's one of my favorite people! Not only is she one of the most positive people in the world (I'm a sucker for a good attitude!), but she's also one of the brightest people I've ever worked with and a total foodie!

So when Bunny says try something, I try it! And last week she shared her recipe for Farmstand Tacos. YUM!


Ingredients -- this one's tricky because you can make it up as you go, but here's what we used (to feed 3 people).


  • 1 yellow squash, sliced, then diced
  • 1 scallion, sliced
  • 2 tomatoes, chopped
  • 3 eggs, ruffled (explanation below)
  • 1 can black beans
  • 1 tbsp minced garlic
  • 1 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • couple dashes of Louisiana Hot Sauce
  • salt & pepper
  • olive oil
  • butter
  • 3 flour tortillas
  • shredded cheese

Directions

1. Saute the diced squash in butter in a pan. (Bunny says absolutely butter! And unless you're totally against it, I'd suggest you follow her advice!)


2. Add red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Cook for 10-15 minutes; then add tomatoes, beans, hot sauce and garlic. Continue cooking over medium heat.


3. Meanwhile, ruffle your eggs.

What the heck does that mean?!? It's kinda halfway between a hard-boiled egg and a scrambled egg, with the seasoning built right in. Here's how you do it.

4. Start boiling some water in a pan.

5. Get two pieces of plastic wrap for each egg. Lay then across a small bowl or ramekin.


6. Pour a little olive oil and spices into the plastic wrap and smoosh it around with your hand (yep, highly technical term there! We used the chili powder and salt with olive oil).


7. Crack egg into the saran wrap.


8. Tie it into a baggie type arrangement with another little piece of plastic wrap.


9. Put all the eggs-plastic wrappy things in your boiling water and boil for 4-6 minutes. (4 minutes will give you the runny centers Bunny likes. We did 5 minutes because I wasn't convinced Hannah would eat a runny yolk).


10. Prep your tortilla, fill with bean/veggie mixture, top with cheese and egg (just cut it out of the plastic wrap.)


Like I said, YUM!

It's a filling taco with great flavor. Hannah, our resident egg connoisseur, declared Ruffled Eggs her new favorite. Here's her review:

"I'd probably give it 3 out of 5 stars. One downer was the black beans were really mushy; but that's how black beans are. But if you really like black beans then you'd probably like this. And i liked the cheese melted on the black beans. My favorite is the egg because it wasn't too squishy, but it still in the inside it was squishy, but on the outside it was harder. I really liked that! And I really liked the flakes of red stuff because it added a little bit of spice into it."

So there you have it. When it comes to food, Bunny Knows Best!

0 comments:

Post a Comment