This week we got our first Freshfully box...
Obviously we had to make SOUP!
Specifically, Black Bean & Butternut Squash Soup.
- 1 Tbsp. coconut or extra virgin olive oil (we used olive oil)
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 a small head of cabbage, chopped (heaping 2 cups)
- 3 cups cubed butternut squash (sweet potato would be good too)
- 3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. cocoa powder (yes, really!)
- pinch of chipotle powder or cayenne pepper
- 2 cups cooked, black beans (about one can, rinsed and drained)
- diced avocado, for garnish
- fresh cilantro, for garnish
- 3 corn tortillas
- scant 1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
Add the spices and the beans and stir. Let everything continue to cook another ten minutes for the flavors to blend. Salt to taste. Ladle some out of the pot and run it through a blender to thicken it up. Then add it back to the pot. If it doesn't thicken enough you can also sprinkle some cornmeal in it. We did both.
For the tortilla crispies, preheat the oven to 375'. Stack them and slice into thin matchsticks. Spread on a baking sheet, drizzle with the oil, sprinkle the salt and toss gently to coat. Spread them in a single layer on the baking sheet and bake for about 10-15 minutes until they are light brown and crispy, giving the pan a shake halfway through. Don't use too much oil. We made that mistake and our first batch was kind of soggy.
Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with diced avocado, a handful of chopped cilantro and some of the tortilla crispies! The original blog post suggests a sprinkle of goat cheese, too, which sounds really good! Unfortunately, all we have is cinnamon goat cheese. Thinking that wouldn't taste that great.
Jason, Olivia and I really like it. Miranda tolerated it. Hannah chocked it down so she could have ice cream for dessert. She did, however, remark that butternut squash "doesn't really taste like anything, so maybe it's okay."
Now that's a ringing endorsement, isn't it?! ;-)