One of our recent discoveries, Jerk Pineapple with Sauteed Cabbage, was so good that when I was flipping through Vegetarian Times Complete Cookbook and saw Jamaican Jerk Skewered Vegetables I couldn't resist. Of course, I had to add a little chicken for the carnivores. Sorry Veggie Times!
- 6 to 8 scallions (green & white parts) diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1-2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves or 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice or ground cinnamon
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved (though we kept them whole because I like the "pop". We even call them "poppers" in our house)
- 1 green pepper, seeded and cut into 8 pieces
- 8 large button mushrooms
- 8 broccoli florets
- 1 onion, cut into 8 wedges
OH YEAH Ingredients:
- 1 pound chicken, cut into bits (there ya go carnivores... plenty of chicken for 4!)
- white rice
In a food processor fitted with a steel blade, process the marinade ingredients for 15 to 20 seconds.
Thread veggies onto barbecue skewers, place skewers in casserole dish, cover with marinade, and refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours, spooning the marinade over the veggies occasionally.
(Confession: we didn't go grocery shopping until 6 p.m. tonight, so no time to marinade for a long time. We marinaded for about, oh, 15 minutes on the kitchen counter so we wouldn't have to eat at 9 p.m.)
Grill until veggies are cooked, but not burned, about 4 to 5 minutes on each side. Or if, like ours, your grill exploded in a blaze of flames last year -- just cook it on the stove.
Plate and enjoy!
Reviews (our of 5 stars):
Tanya -- 4.5 stars -- I would have never thought to use cloves, nutmeg or allspice in a marinade, but it was so good! And there were plenty of veggies in this meal, I didn't miss the meat (which I'm not eating ... going back to flexitarianism)
Chef Jason -- 3.5 stars -- It was good, but not as inspired as some meals. Kind of reminds me of college.
Miranda -- 2 stars -- I thought it was kind of bland. I didn't like the taste on the vegetables (the marinade ... though honestly, she didn't really eat many vegetables).
Olivia -- 5 stars -- I really liked it! I liked the green pepper things and the broccoli and the mushrooms, especially the mushrooms. It was really good.
Hannah -- (didn't give stars or a review, but she ate it all. Well, except for the broccoli.)